Thursday, December 17, 2009

Wedded Bliss


Today Doc and I are celebrating our fifth wedding anniversary. I can hardly believe it has been that long! Seriously where does the time go?

Marriage is an amazing thing when you think about it, isn't it? Two people choose to walk the journey of their lives together not knowing where it might take them but knowing that together it will be better than it could ever be alone. I am thankful everyday that Doc chose me as the person he wanted to walk through life with. From the very day I met him, he has made me strive to be the best version of myself. Admittedly, I often fall short of this goal, but he never stops seeing me for my best self which make me want to continue to be better.

I have always been in love with weddings. When I was in 8th grade, I asked for a subscription to Bride's magazine for Christmas because I wanted to be a dress designer. I would spend hours reading the magazine and tracing all of the dresses in it. At the time, my fascination with weddings had less to do with marriage itself than it did with dresses, flowers, and dancing. And even as we were planning my wedding it was difficult to put this aspect of the wedding on hold to focus on the most important part of the celebration - the joining of two lives.

The moment of our wedding I will never forget was when they opened the door to the church. It was as though my whole life was sitting there in that room. My parents, my sister, my childhood friends, my college roommates, and the friends I had just made. It was like a map of my entire life up to this point with people marking all of my life experiences. They are the people who bandaged my first scraped knee, held my hand on the first day of school, giggled with me at my first sleepover, cried with me over my first heartbreak, helped me get ready for my first date with Doc. They are the people who have helped weave the fabric of who I am. As I walked in, pew by pew, I realized that they represented every stage of my past. And when I got to the alter and I really saw Doc for the first time, it was like seeing my future. Standing there holding his hand I saw all of the memories ahead us. And the people of my past were bearing witness to our future. That evening at 7:30 pm, if only just for a moment, all was right in the world.

LOLA

2 comments:

  1. That was very well-written and gave me goose bumps! Happy Anniversary, to a super sweet... and sincere couple! :)
    Lillian

    ReplyDelete
  2. That gave me goose bumps as well. Beautifully written. It's so great to see 2 people so in love! From the limited amount of time I've spent around you, I can tell that you two make a fantastic couple!!!

    ReplyDelete