Thursday, December 3, 2009

I Heart N.Y.

Ahhh... I'm daydreaming about our amazing trip to NYC and wondering how a week has passed since the Macy's Parade. I feel like we were just there standing in a sea of people on the corner of 68th and Central Park West squealing with excitement as Santa's sleigh turned the corner. I realized I haven't been back to post anything since then so I thought I'd do a quick little recap of our trip. For those who read my blog, you already know that I am a Type A trip planner whose itineraries are drawn up in excel and are usually focused around our meals. I wish I could say I was kidding about the excel thing, but it's no lie. I have a little spreadsheet that has columns for day, time, activity, location, address, cross street, and phone number. I swear I don't schedule nap times!!!

Anyway - here's a little daily recap that covers the highlights of our trip!

Tuesday night
  • We met two of Docs brother and our sis-in-laws for a 10:45 dinner reservation at Anthony Bourdain's old stomping ground Les Halles - amazing pommes frites and Bearnaise

Wednesday

  • Doc and sis-in-laws spent the morning walking through Bloomies, Prada, Gucci, Fendi, Chanel, LV. I am always reminded of Becky Bloomwood in the Shopaholic books when I walk down 5th Ave. when she recalls being a little girl watching the fancy ladies using their "magic cards." If only they didn't come with 20% APRs.
  • Doc, Liss, and I wondered through the Village looking for the perfect hot cocoa and happened in on the best grilled cheese of ALL time at Hundred Acres (recommended by Gweneth Paltrow on http://www.goop.com/). Seriously it was to die for.
  • Had our celeb spottings at Hundred Acres. We saw the unethical reporter from the 5th season of The Wire (best show ever on tv). And (said in the saddest voice ever) Doc, Liss, and Barn (BIL) saw the little blonde actress from 30 Rock. I was in the potty. Apparently she saw them too - they were high fiving each other over their celeb spotting and she caught them and laughed!!
  • More walking through the Village until we arrived at Mariebelle for the world's tiniest cup of hot cocoa. Seriously - it was the size of a shot glass. But it was so rich that was all you could ever want. Mmmmm....
  • Doc, me, Liss, and Barn walked over to my favorite bar in the entire world - McSorley's. it must be everybody's favorite b/c it was so crowded in there we thought we'd never get in, but we actually wound up with the best table in the place. They only serve their own brew and it comes in light and dark - your choice. You must order in sets of two, and you must keep drinking or they will boot you from your table. Needless to say, it is always a bit rowdy in there, but it is never fails to produce good times and great memories.
  • After a bit of a nap, the whole family met up for dinner at Eatery NYC and drinks - awesome!!!

Thursday

  • I have already mentioned that we went to the Macy's parade, but I had to again since it was the highlight of my trip!!!
  • We watched football, and of course Home Alone
  • The whole family met up for Thanksgiving Dinner at Atlantic Grill. It was wonderful.

Friday

  • At this point we had moved from the East Side to the Upper West Side to stay with my wonderful friend Marie in her AMAZING apartment. We spent the morning catching up and it was wonderful.
  • We started our day of at the David Yurman store on Madison where I picked out my birthday treasure. I got a ring that matched an earring and necklace set I have, and I haven't stopped staring at since we got it!!
  • Mark and I walked from the Midtown to Times Square where we had lunch at Daniel Boulud's Bistro Moderne. I felt so special and fancy dining at one of his restaurants. I had the lobster bisque and it was to die for. It was rich, but not overly creamy. Perfection.
  • After walking off a little of our lunch, Doc and I joined his parents and his aunt at Bye Bye Birdie!!!!! It was so good. I thought John Stamos was very charming as Albert, and it made me miss my community theatre days. I played Kim MacAfee the summer after my senior year, and seeing the show brought back such great memories.
  • Mark and I managed to squeeze in a quick carriage ride through Central Park - one of our NYC traditions.
  • Friday night we met back up with the whole gang at this adorable little Italian place in Nolita called Emilio's Ballato. It is Kelly Ripa's favorite date place. For good reason - they serve housemade pasta cooked to order!

Saturday

  • I am a big believer in walking food tours. I think they are a great way to see a city like a local would. My favorite tours are offered by http://www.foodsofny.com/. We chose to do the Central Village/Soho tour, which I did back in April on a girls trip, and it was spectacular yet again. It is a three and a half hour walking tour of the area where you learn about the culture and history of the area all while sampling the most delicious bites of food. Highly recommended!!!
  • After the tour, Liss and I did a little West Broadway shopping while the others got some rest in a cozy little SOHO bar. It was then that I discovered the wonders of Uni-Qlo. It is a Japanese clothing line that makes great casual pieces (many in cashmere) for very reasonable prices. I got a plaid tunic, cashmere scarf, beret, and black skirt for under $100. And it is amazing quality!!
  • Saturday was our designated NYC friends dinner. Marie was kind enough to organize a reservation for all of us at Salumeria Rossi, a very fancy meat market and cheese shop on one side and a tapas restaurant on the other. It was delish and the company was fantastic.
  • Saturday night family and friends all met up for some drinks before we wrapped up another version of the Doc family Thanksgiving!

Sunday

  • Doc and I took a long walk through Central Park and took in all that is New York. It is hard to ever really find peace in the city, but the park is like a huge oasis in the middle of it all.
  • We joined some family for a quick brunch at Citrus before we packed up, said good-bye to our UWS home away from home, and headed to Newark.

And so there you have it. All you ever wanted to know about out trip to NYC. After writing this, I am finding it hard to imagine how I will ever be able to put on my skinny jeans again!!!

Lola

1 comment:

  1. I am so jealous!!! Reading your post makes me want to go there again -- now!!!

    ReplyDelete