Friday, November 20, 2009

Pack Rat

Today I have been completely distracted with my upcoming trip to NYC for our Thanksgiving celebration with Doc's family. We leave on Tuesday after work, so I have been mentally packing for the last half hour. Doc and I travel quite a bit, so I have become quite accustomed to packing for a three day weekend, but I become completely unravelled when it comes to packing for an extended stay in NYC. I find that NYC poses some packing challenges unlike any other city we visit. First, you walk so much when you're there, that you have to have at least one pair of comfy shoes (for me some flat boots). On top of that, we will spend our days shopping, going to shows, and have nice lunches, so i need outfits that are comfy, warm, and wearable, but that are also fashionable. Then you have to pack for your evening costume change so that you look just right for dinner and drinks. So many outfits, so little space.

Doc and I have made a promise that we will make every attempt to avoid checking bags. We have dinner reservations at Les Halles very late Tuesday night (10:45), and by not checking bags, even if we run a minute behind, we should still be able to hop in a cab and head to dinner. Plus, I just heard on the radio that a couple in Phoenix has been charged with stealing over 1,000 pieces of luggage from the Phoenix baggage claim. That is my BIGGEST fear about checking. I would just die if my luggage was lost or stolen. As a result, all of my outfits must fit nice and snug in a tiny little carry-on!

I have a trick or two to make packing a little better. I roll small items (tights, tanks, socks) and stuff them in my shoes. You'd be amazed how much space this saves. I also pre-plan an outfit itinerary for every day so that I only pack what I need and nothing extra. I try to stick to outfits that can all be paired with the same accessories so that I'm not packing multiple purses/shoes/etc. And I always wear my bulkiest outfit on the plane on both travel days, including my coat, scarf, and heavy boots.

PS - We have found that if you have a rolling bag and a purse, the airlines have not ever said anything to us about also carrying on a hanging bag. So I try to make all of my dinner outfits dresses and I hang them on one hanger so that I have even more room in the roller!

I am wondering, do you have any good packing tips?


Lola

1 comment: